Translate

A surprise awaits

How interesting, since Bond’s previous departure from Palacio Haedo in 2018, that his MI6-leased apartment has remained unoccupied. In fact everything about it is exactly as it was left. You may recall that Moneypenny’s observation was that it looked like a museum. The radiogram remains against one wall, a collection of old vinyl records pushed untidily beneath. Somewhere on a shelf in the cupboard will be the empty box of Belgium pralines discovered by Moneypenny and the dregs of a bottle of Talisker single malt. A voile curtain lifts gently in a breeze from the open patio, allowing access to a shaft of sunlight illuminating the column of dust that hovers in the centre of the room.

‘What kept you, Mr Bond’, calls a voice from the roof garden. And there, in the doorway, stands Xiomara.

‘And how did you get here? I thought you were off to Palermo?’ I ask displaying my incredulity. ‘A detour for a little shopping at Galeria Bond Street, would you believe? I thought you might like a stick-on tattoo? I told the Japanese tourists that they just had to go there, and promptly lost them amongst the Goths.’

Everything became clear. Arguably the best location in Buenos Aires in which to ‘disappear’ is the Galeria at Santa Fe 1670. Entering from the street you could never anticipate the labyrinth that lies behind, beneath and above. A maze of corridors leads between studios buzzing with needles, tiny shops and flights of steps before decanting via the exit into Rodrigues Pena. The hoards of chain-jangling Goths on the back staircase make it impossible to follow.

‘Clever girl’, I say condescendingly, but secretly astounded and impressed by her initiative. ‘How did you know where to go? And, for that matter, how on earth did you get in here past security?’

‘Elementary, Mr Bond, I just did my research and found somewhere with a charming name: Bond Street - it seemed to make sense, just a short stroll away via Plaza Libertad. And of course Horacio downstairs is a total push-over for an experienced woman on a mission,’ she adds with a provocative smile.

The thing that now troubles me, however, is Xiomara’s intentions. Is she planning to take over my Haedo apartment? Am I to be consigned to the sofa, or forced out to the Hotel Alvear?

‘Don’t worry Mr Bond,’ she says recognising my look of consternation, ‘I’m not stopping….at least not for too long,’ she continues. And with that she calls for Horacio to help her with her suitcase and disappears into the bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giannina and Ghost

 Back at Palacio Haedo, Xiomara is brewing Maté w hilst I pace the room. Giannina, wearing one of the house robes, sits on the terrace alon...